Thursday 15 October 2020

Symbolism in the gardens of Chenonceau

Our exhibition in The Arts Centre at the Meeting House in Ilminster is now open to view. You will find a warm welcome in the gallery and in the café which is open during the centre's opening hours.

Much of the work I am showing this time is a continuation of work begun last year following a visit to the Chateau at Chenonceau in France in July 2019. The series explores the history of the Chateau and its famous occupants through the life of Catherine de Medici (wife of Henry II of France) who lived there in the mid 1500s.

This time, there are several new pieces. I have extended my thoughts with a fresh look at the use of colour to suggest further the dark history of Catherine's life - of dark deeds and perhaps blood spilt. 

This theme of evil deeds contrasts strongly in my memory with the formal beauty and apparent peace of the gardens as I saw them and I hope to suggest this contrast in my work. I have also explored the shapes (both positive and negative) generated by the overlapping of images. 

Throughout, I developed my response in Adobe Photoshop Elements from the photographs I took during my visit. The imagery which resulted was discussed at length (here and here). 

Covid restrictions notwithstanding, the exhibition runs in the gallery until Saturday 31 October. In view of current restrictions, it would be wise to consult the Art Centre's website before visiting to check the opening times of the gallery.

Margaret Robbie 



No comments:

Post a Comment