Sunday 27 January 2013

a particular kind of tailoring...

Whilst thinking about work for our 'Suited' Exhibition, I have made some links in my mind.
I hope they make sense in sharing them here!
Tailoring requires considerable skill, craft, attention to detail, practise, experience...
It is about a careful honouring of the person the clothing is for. To 'make the best' that is possible with cloth, fit, detail.
For the Exhibition, I am working on buttonhole stitch (cherry red buttonhole twist as in the Tailor of Gloucester, but that progress is for another post!)
Meanwhile..
 Buttonhole in another context. This one is about mending - about continuing to care for clothing that has lead a full life - about trying to nurture - to catch tears and bring colour and beauty and new life.
The buttonhole stitch here stops an unravelling, makes a feature of wear and tear!
It also honours (I hope) the skill of makers of mass produced clothing by not wasting it, by rejuvenating and extending it's life. I am bringing a different craft and skill and, in so doing, am also 'customising' - making something relevant and personal to an individual, adding detail in a light way -  'making the best' and bringing some creative attention to everyday denim...
To read more, see my blog post at boostitch